Saturday, February 6, 2010

Medical Exam day

The doctor was worried because YuanYuan wouldn't walk, even though we told him that he could. He finally led us down a busy hall, and I went to stand at one end while he held YuanYuan back at the other. Then he acted like he was going to pick him up - and YuanYuan practically ran to me. YuanYuan was fussy when they took his temperature and looked in his ears, and downright mad when the doctor checked his legs for clubfoot, took his diaper off to look at his scar and measure around his head (to check for hydrocephalus? common with spina bifida kiddos)

The worst part of all? When they translated the immunization record, YuanYuan needs 7 shots to get up to date with American kids the same age. Since we are an I800/Hague case, there is no waiver we can sign that would let us get his shots back in the USA, with our family doctor, on a delayed schedule. (that is what we did with Evie, when we were an I600/pre-Hague case) They took us in a room, and I told them he could only get 4 shots today, they would have to do the rest later. Our guide told them that, too. So the nurse got all the shots ready to go, and then tried to argue with me when I wouldn't let her give him all 7. I think they had to throw the other 3 out  because she had already stuck the needle in them, so she was mad, but I told her 4 from the beginning. I wasn't going to be bullied about this. He screamed and fought and cried, I felt so bad. The lowest point was when he held my hair and started screaming Mama over and over. I don't know if he was calling me or his foster Mom, but I tried to comfort him. If you were at the clinic in Guangzhou, I was the crying mom holding the crying baby. We had to stay there for 30 minutes to look out for side effects, so we went outside and sat down for a little bit and rocked. Then we put him in the baby carrier and walked and stood by the canal, watching the workers dredging it. There was a backhoe on a raft that was scooping up sediment and filling up some smaller boats. It was a bit smelly, but LOUD, so our little guy was interested. We finally were allowed to leave, so we walked back to the hotel.

On the way, we stopped at 7-11 to pick up some water and drinks, and at Subway to get lunch. By the time we got back here, he was a happy boy again. He likes to eat the turkey off of my sub, and he bummed some of Rich's chocolate chip cookie (he said "oooooh" after he had a bite!) We played for a bit, then I gave him his noon bottle and wrestled him down for a nap.

Poor guy, we get to do this bright and early again on Monday morning. (waaaaah)

No comments:

Post a Comment